A group of the world’s leading display technology brands have come together at #CES2019 to form a new industry organization called The 8K Association (8KA).
Founding companies for the 8KA include AU Optronics (AUO) along with consumer electronics giants Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung Electronics and TCL Electronics. We understand that panel supplier Samsung Display is also in the process of joining the 8KA.
All have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to form the nonprofit organization to advance their common vision and mission.
Hyogun Lee, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics said “The 8K Association will not only provide an effective introduction to 8K technology but will also accelerate the beginning of the 8K era,” said By leading the early stages of ecosystem development, Samsung will further solidify its global leadership in the 8K market.”
Specific goals of the organization include:
- Promoting 8K TVs and 8K Content to consumers and professionals
- Helping educate consumers and professionals about the 8K ecosystem
- Helping secure 8K native content for members
- Encouraging service providers (especially OTT) to develop 8K offerings
- Facilitating communication within 8K ecosystem to help with commercialization
- Developing initial technical requirements for 8K input signals
- Developing initial 8K TV categories and minimum specifications for image quality