Women in AV (WAVE) UK last week announced the formation of a new Leadership Team with Carys Green as its Director.
Since the passing of Abigail Brown last November, a priority has been to ensure that the correct leadership was in place to continue her legacy.
We know that this new team all worked closely with Abigail during her time as founder of WAVE UK, and that they will be instrumental in accelerating the momentum and energy invested to date through collaboration, research, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Carys Green is Sales Account Manager at Pioneer Group in the UK and will have a busy role in the leadership team for WAVE in UK, taking overall responsibility for the activities of WAVE UK including events and sponsorship. She is a highly experienced AV professional – passionate about networking in AV and delivering sophisticated and modern audio-visual solutions that are intuitive, easy to use and enhance user experiences.
She told us “I’m excited about the future of WAVE UK and, with the new Leadership Team in place, I am enthusiastic about the progress we will be able to make in advancing women in the AV industry in honour of our dear friend Abi. During the period of transition, we have been working collectively to agree priorities and ensure the future direction for the group and its members. It was of the utmost importance to have a team of men and women that share Abi’s passion and a determination to see her contributions continue to grow and advance.”
The following make up the Leadership team:
- Director: Carys Green, Sales Account Manager, Pioneer Group (UK)
- Assistant Director: Pat Deeley, Managing Director, AV Jobs
- Mentor Programme: Sadie Groom, Managing Director, Bubble Agency
- PR: Beky Cann, Director of PR & Communications, Peerless-AV
- Social Media: Maddie Vining, Senior AV Technician, 1 Wimpole Street
- Male Ambassador: Kevin McLoughlin, AV Manager, 1 Wimpole Street, and Director of AV User Group
We are told that WAVE Global Founder Jennifer Willard was actively involved in decisions relating to the formation of the team during the transition phase, and that she will continue to offer guidance and assistance with the events calendar.
Sadie Groom will relaunch the mentoring programme in 2020, drawing on her experience with the successful Rise mentoring scheme for women in broadcasting. Sadie will be actively recruiting mentors and mentees to get involved.
The group’s objectives for 2020 include closer cooperation with the AVIXA Women’s Council, to encourage more men to join and get involved with events and activities. To be a member of WAVE requires only that one supports the group’s mission and endorsement of gender diversity and inclusion.
In 2020, WAVE UK have numerous planned activities, free to attend and open to anyone wishing to support the group, learn more about its mission, and contribute towards the professional advancement of women in ProAV.
- AVIXA Women’s Council Forum in partnership with WAVE, 12 February 2020, 15:30 – 17:30, Main Stage, RAI Amsterdam. During an AVIXA event at ISE, Carys will be giving an update on the formation of the new leadership team and its vision and plans for 2020, as well as paying tribute to Abigail Brown. With an opening address by Sarah Joyce, AVIXA Chief Global Officer, a keynote from the Hon. Mrs Angels Chacón, Minister for Business & Knowledge in the Catalan Government, and in partnership with WAVE, the event will provide discussion points for inspiring, supporting and empowering women who work in the technology and AV industries.
- Summer Spectacular / WAVE Awards, date/venue to be confirmed
As part of the new Summer Awards event, the Abigail Brown Award will be presented to someone who has demonstrated qualities of courage and bravery in the face of adversity, inspirational deeds and/or exceptional positivity, drive and enthusiasm for getting things done. More information will follow.
- Other events include; Shure Experience Centre, 9 March 2020 (invite only), Optoma LED Training Day, 23 April 2020, PLASA Leeds, 12-13 May 2020, #InfoComm20 Las Vegas, 13-19 June 2020
#ff @AV_Carys @bekycann @AVJobsEMEA @sadiegroom @Kev_McLoughlin @MaddieVining