The Place Exchange Programmatic OOH Trends report provides a snapshot of select spending patterns within the Place Exchange platform after analyzing delivery across billions of programmatic OOH impressions.
These results compare data from H1 2022 with data from H2 2021.
- OOH spending continues to be evenly spread across a mix of advertiser verticals.
- Health/Fitness was the largest and fastest-growing category, driven by a significant increase in pharma spending, leveraging the targeting, creative delivery and measurement innovations in programmatic OOH.
- Other top-spending categories included Food/Drink, Tech/Computing, Personal Finance, and Business, with strong growth observed in Style/Fashion and Automotive from H2 2021 to H1 2022.
- Billboards continue to be the largest single asset category by spend at 41%, but other OOH formats have grown share significantly, including Screens/TVs, Display Panels, Kiosks, and Point of Sale screens.
- The average CPM for programmatic OOH inventory increased from $7.10 to $7.47, with most OpenOOH Venue Categories seeing price increases, notably Office Buildings, Point of Care, and Health & Beauty venues.
- Spending on programmatic Video OOH grew by 60% from H2 2021 to H1 2022, with video ads now representing almost half of spending on video-enabled screens.
- Programmatic OOH buyers continue to transact predominantly via Non-Guaranteed deals, which offer high levels of flexibility.