We have been very critical of exhibition and conference organisers, industry associations and even those with little or no interest in the actual industry (apart from making money) in their attempts to organise so-called annual ‘industry’ awards.
When it comes to awards, ‘Digital Out Of Home’ has, for some reason, either been perceived as a sub-category of the Audio/Visual industry or gets thrown alongside a Digital Signage exhibition or conference.
Needless to say, the categories are nearly always wrong, judging is often poor, sponsors and exhibitors need to be considered (come on, we know how it works) which all leads to an industry sector that deserves much better getting short shrift!
An industry that generates expenditure of billions worldwide, and in some countries, where digital out of home accounts for 15% of the total Out Of Home advertising market deserves to be taken more seriously.
We believe that the industry needs its own impartial, professional, up-market annual award ceremony that can truly do the sector justice. As the leading commentator on the industry, we decided to put together ‘The DailyDOOH Gala Awards‘.
We have multi-year commitments from our judges and our sponsors and the first event will take place on November 29, 2012 in London.
There are eight categories…
- Best QSR / Bar or Restaurant Deployment. The judges are looking for the best digital signage deployment in the food, drink or leisure industry – likely finalists will have made use of background music, digital menu boards, customer messaging, point of sale or a combination thereof.
- Best High Street / Supermarket / Convenience Store or Forecourt Deployment. The judges are looking for the best digital signage deployments in and around retail (which includes banking) – likely finalists will have made use of customer messaging, advertising, menu boards, queue management, point of sale, window displays or a combination thereof
- Best Digital Poster or Street Furniture Implementation The judges are looking for the best Digital Poster or Street Furniture implementation, either indoors or outdoors – likely finalists will have been deployed in shopping malls, airports, other transportation hubs or in a moving vehicle
- Best Stadium / Office Building / Corporate / Hotel, Hospitality or Leisure Install The judges are looking for the best building-based digital signage installations. This category includes stadia, building projections, corporate communication networks, as well as deployments that may have been made in entrance halls, atriums, reception areas, call centres, hotel lobbies and casinos
- Best Original Digital Billboard The judges are looking for the most original and innovative digital billboard (these do not necessarily need to be roadside). Finalists will be judged on design, content and technical capability
- Best Digital Out of Home Campaign The judges are looking for outstanding creativity using the best that digital out of home has to offer – likely finalists will demonstrate a unique, inspiring advertising campaign where brands were allowed to fully engage with customers
- The Top Digital Signage Vendor 2012 DailyDOOH presents this award based on its assessment of global presence, management team, financial stability, track record, product roadmap, development capability, breadth of solution, customer service and sophistication of the technology options on offer
- Lifetime Achievement Award This award is given at the discretion of the jury to the individual who they believe has done the most to further the digital signage, digital out of home or digital place based media industry
We have seen enough award events in our time to know what we like and want we don’t like and we’ve tried to incorporate all of that into The DailyDOOH Gala Awards – bottom line, it’s a prestigious event that recognises excellence and promotes best practice in the industry while not taking itself too seriously.
For any doubters out there please note. The sponsors are secured, the location booked, we’ve sold a third of the tables, the judging panel is in place (the web site will be up in the next day or so) and this is going to be one hell of a night in the calendar!