For those who don’t follow this show – the meaning relates to a seasonal metaphor where Summer is the time when things are good – but one must always be diligent and prepared for the season that comes next, i.e. Winter. A time when things are different and more challenging.
As I look ahead to #dse2014 – I am cautiously optimistic. If the past 12 months I’ve spent with retailers and brands is any indication of what’s to come in our industry, its time for preparation; Winter IS coming and Amazon is out innovating everyone – so get ready for the most disruptive 18 months the industry has ever seen!
Here are the key retail trends that will impact Digital OOH in the next 12 months.
- Mobile will continue to play the catalyst role in helping bridge the e-tailing + in-store experiences.
- Consumers EXPECT their in-store experiences to be as intuitive and engaging as what they get from on-line.
- Retailers MUST focus in areas that Amazon can’t compete (for now): local stores + number of retail locations.
- Big Data is way too big to manage. Data needs to be parsed into ‘Smart’ data in order for it to be useful.
- Showrooming behavior is the new normal. Retailers + brands that don’t embrace it will not succeed in the future.
- Social feeds such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter – are too far from the in-store experience to make an impact, new approaches and strategies for social media integration are needed.
As I wander through the show floor in the next few days, I will be looking out for solutions that address these trends. … remember, “Winter is Coming”
See you all at #dse2014 – send me a DM on Twitter if you want to meet up at the show, @manolo_almagro