Outsmart , the trade body for the UK Out of Home industry, has announced that Out of Home revenue reported for the quarter April to June 2019 saw the total market grow by +9.4% year-on-year from GBP 284 million in Q2 2018 to GBP 310 million in Q2 2019.
The report, conducted by PwC, reveals that Digital Out of Home saw growth of +17.2%, a faster growth rate compared to previous quarters (Q1 2019 +11% and Q4 2018 +16%). Digital’s share of total Q2 revenue was 51%, a slight increase from 49% seen in Q1 2019 and in line with seasonal trends.
On a half-yearly basis, the market is up +8.2% on H1 2018 generating total revenues of GBP 596m. Classic Out of Home saw growth of +2.7% in H1.
Justin Cochrane, Chair of Outsmart, told us “These fantastic results demonstrate advertisers trust Out of Home because of its reach, creativity, flexible planning, accountability and effectiveness.”
- Digital showed strong growth of 17.2% (compared to a slower rate in Q1 2019 of +10.9%)
- Classic also continued its growth at 2.3% (compared to +3.1% in Q1 2019)
- Digital % share jumped to 51%, contrasting with 49% seen in Q1 2019
- All formats grew vs Q2 2018. The fastest growing format was Banner at 31% (+GBP 1.8m), almost all in Classic.
- The only environment to decline was Retail (-6%, -GBP2.2m). As usual Roadside and Transport drove the growth at +GBP 14m and +GBP 12m respectively
H1 2019 highlights:
- Top-line growth of 8.2% yoy in H1 2019 (vs. 3.3% in H1 2018), generating total industry of GBP 596m
- Digital showed strong growth of 14.2% (compared to a slower rate in H1 2018 of +11.6%)
- Classic also grew: at 2.7% (compared to a decline of -3.1% in H1 2018)
- Digital % share jumped to 50%, contrasting with 48% seen in H1 2018
- All formats grew vs H1 2018. The fastest growing format was Banner at 39% (+£4.7m), almost all in Classic.
- The only environment to decline was Retail (-6.5%, -GBP 4.2m). As usual Roadside and Transport drove the growth at +GBP 24.5m and +GBP 20.4m respectively
Mark Maitland, Head of Entertainment and Media at PwC, said “This quarter’s growth is the fastest we have seen in the UK Out of Home sector in the last three years, and follows successive strong quarterly growth over the past 12 months.”
In addition, new data from Route confirms Out of Home’s extraordinary reach: 98% weekly reach of all adults across Britain, with Digital Out of Home reaching 68%, an increase of +36% in the last year.