Every year during the #Wimbledon fortnight, a post we wrote several years ago about ‘The Wimbledon Scoreboard‘ crops up again and again as one of the most popular daily reads because of all the search engine traffic it attracts.
For all of those interested in the Centre Court Scoreboard here is a quick rundown…
- In 2008 the original dot matrix scoreboards on Centre and Number One Courts were replaced by BARCO OLite 612 LED displays
- These displays are not only used as the scoreboard (simulating the original dot matrix display if you like) but as a mechanism to relay to the crowd the Hawk-Eye replays, player profiles and a variety of statistics.
- The BARCO OLite 612 LED display is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, with a 12mm pixel pitch, 6,000NIT light output and 15 bit processing
- With an outdoor IP65 rating the OLite panels can be used in all weather conditions – err, usually useful given the English climate, Ed
- The displays were installed by Creative Technology, a company founded in London in 1986 and one of the leading suppliers of LED display technology to international sporting events
- In 2008, The Championships featured a total of 10 displays using BARCO technology (though that number may have increased by now)