As conventions go, I’d say the Digital Signage portion of the SGIA Expo was a success. Not having any previous years’ visits to compare, the timing did seem right to introduce DOOH to an industry that’s obviously hungry for information and education. As I mentioned in my last post, I believe the education needs to be targeted more towards asset re-purposing – but that’s just one creative guy’s opinion.I’d give high fives to David Drain, Executive Director of the Digital Screen Media Association, for making this happen and bringing quality vendors to the table. Also, the Executive team at SGIA for being forward thinking enough to predict their customers’ needs. Thanks also to David for hosting a drinks and get-toghether at the Legassi Stadium – it was a great opportunity to shoot the breeze with colleagues that you don’t often get to meet in person.
For next year there are a few things I’d like to see change or added:-
- More digital screen with great content.
- More discussion on content in general.
- A blogger lounge with free wi-fi would have been nice.
- The Zone was a little too close to some of the loud printing machines and made it hard work hearing presenters at times.
- Why not have downloadable versions of the presentations so attendees can download to their mobile devices?
- Create a seminar to showcase how digital assets can be re-puposed for digital signage,with real world examples
Overall, I was encouraged by what I saw – not so much shook up, more slightly stirred. Next year, I suspect, we’ll have an even bigger, better presence, but as the Expo heads into it’s last day this DailyDOOH’er has left the building- thank you very much….