The 2016 edition of global IoT project Smart City Hack is nearing its end with the ten finalists and finale times now revealed. Since June Smart City Hack 2016 has sought the best app and IT solutions from around the world to pitch during next week’s #SCEWC16 in Barcelona.
Events in Catalunya, Phoenix, Austin, Granada and Gutalema have allowed local developers to share and pitch ideas while a later open online call garnered over fifty submissions. This global initiative encouraged developers, enterprises, startups, digital entrepreneurs and citizens to submit mobile applications and other technological solutions that fit into one of the following five themes Energy and Emissions, Urban Mobility, City Collaborative, Health and Wellness.
After an online voting stage including both judges and the public was completed in October the following ten apps and IT solution were selected.
- New York: Cloudparc, a combination of machine vision, smartphones and A.I. for better parking
- Phoenix: Storage Together, a sharing economy based storage app connecting renters and rentees with spare home space
- Madrid: WhatsCine, cinema and television enhancer for those with sensory disabilities
- Barcelona: Map4All, Interactive map displaying places that have facilities for those with any motor, visual or hearing impairment
- Minuts, Community action app rewarding involvement with vouchers for services such as cinema and museum tickets
- Daysk, Workspace reservation and database for professionals who work remotely
- Greencustomers, An IT energy monitoring tool focused on tourism sustainability
- Psonríe, An app to increase ease and accessibility to a qualified psychologist
- Nigeria: ExploreAfrica, A business directory with a focus on tourist hotspots within Africa
- Uruguay: Citycop, A social GPS application to protect communities from crime
The finalists will have just a few minutes each to showcase their product’s merits to an onstage jury. Smart City Hack founder and dotopen CEO Carles Ferreiro told us “This year’s Smart City Hack has supported hundreds of entrepreneurs in cities around the world in addressing some of our most pressing challenges. The finalists will present innovative solutions that support the new empowered citizen, harnessing the power of technology, connectivity and collaboration.”
The finale day for all of this is Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 16.00 at the Gran Via Exhibition Center, Juan Carlos I Avenue, 64, Hospitalet de Llobregat. Attendance is free to those already enjoying the expo.