Futuristic Revolutionary Shopping Experience
Adrian J Cotterill, Editor-in-Chief
TNS tells us in its latest study that “shoppers can’t wait until holographic sales assistance, interactive dressing rooms, biometric fingerprint payments and intelligent shopping carts become true”
For this new survey, entitled New Future In Store, TNS interviewed (online we believe) over 4,600 primary household shoppers in eight countries; Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States and bottom line it would appear that consumers are ready for a more futuristic revolutionary shopping experience (at at least they tell us they are!).
The study rates the appeal of 12 innovations that TNS believe have the potential to revolutionize the shopping experience…
- Biometric Fingerprint Payment
- Interactive Dressing Room Help
- Smart Carts
- 3D Body Scanning
- Collaborative Product Development Websites
- Group Buying by Consumers
- Networked Shopping
- Interactive Dressing Room Mirror
- Shopping by Mobile Phone
- Holographic Sales Assistant
- Shopping ‘Social Network’ Websites
- Sales and Product Information via Mobile Phone (Based on Location)
The survey is well worth a read and contains a lot of information that would help anyone in the retail sector.
Some of the highlights of the report, show that…
- 60% of shoppers across the globe believe that they will be able to pay for purchases using just their fingerprint by 2015 – this innovation was rated top by 25% of shoppers – except in the US where the innovation was not popular (err, we wonder why?)
- 73% of shoppers globally say they expect to be using interactive touch screens in dressing rooms to communicate with sales assistants by 2015
- the most likely innovation to be used in the future will be shopping via social networking Web sites and collaborative product development
One of the points we particularly liked was that German shoppers were particularly interested in having a 3D body scan to help their clothes to fit!