Outdoor Services Inc. for its national campaign for United States Navy, and MediaVest for a regional campaign for Kraft Stove Top Stuffing walked off with the top ‘best of the best’ awards at the 9th annual Out-of-Home Media Plan Awards.
Nancy Fletcher, president of the Outdoor Advertising Association of America, presented the awards Dec. 9/09 in New York in conjunction with the Second Annual Out-of-Home Advertising Event.
The awards are judged based on a combination of media strategy, media plan including proper use of budget and showing measurable results. Five Gold and four Silver Awards were given, with Outdoor Services/U.S. Navy and MediaVest Stove Top Stuffing chosen from among the Gold winners. Each winning campaign used a variety of media, mainly a mix of OOH media.
The U.S. Navy campaign was based on building awareness and use of the navyformoms.com website and included ‘painting the town blue’ in each city where it rolled out. While a major part of the campaign actually involved turning monuments and other landmarks blue, it also included wallscapes, touch screens, mall saturations, bus wraps, street teams, in-stadium materials and just about every type of OOH media one can imagine.
Web traffic was up 32% and there was a 25% increase in Moms being favourable to their sons enlisting in the navy.
The Stove Top Stuffing was geared to make this classic food top-of-mind all year around and not just for the holidays. The campaign, which also won a Bronze Lion at Cannes, was built on giving consumers ‘the gift of warmth’ and included heated bus shelters along with standard bus shelters in Chicago. The campaign drove a 7% increase in sales volume.
The other gold awards went to:
- Nicholson Kovac Inc. for EMBARQ, a local phone carrier with a ‘Bring It Home’ campaign which involved, among other things, painting barns to attract rural audiences;
- MPG for Carnival Cruise Lines with a campaign built on a concept of ‘fun’;
- MacDonald Media for ESPN Monday Night Football which included covering walls on all sorts on 378 transit shelters in real Astrturf as well as 270 wild postings.
Silver award winners were:
- Horizon Media for History Expedition: Africa
- Outdoor Services Inc. for Showtime’s Dexter;
- MPG for McDonald’s McCafe;
- Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners for the MINI Clubman;