I asked Julian Treasure over at The Sound Agency earlier this week, if he could create me a single page foil that summarised his thoughts, his work and his company’s offering of Sound and Sound Consultancy (a tall order considering the scope of the subject matter).
I wanted a single page which I could then use in my own speeches and presentations and (of course) credit him with the detail. He came back with 3 foils but I do pride myself on the mastery of the simple Powerpoint and indeed got it down to a single foil. I will be using this PPT later today and in 2 weeks time again in India at the DS Asia event.
Anyway, thought I would share the salient points with you.
Sound affects people powerfully, altering their behaviour
- Primary effects are physiological, psychological, cognitive, behavioural
- Research has shown that sound can increase retail sales by over 30%
Most retail sound is arbitrary, incongruous and hostile
- Main effect is to reduce dwell time and therefore sales
How to design an effective soundscape
- Create audio brand guidelines
- Remove inappropriate noise
- Optimise acoustics and install a decent sound system
- Design an effective background sound using psychoacoustics and ABGs
- Add foreground sound that is targeted, appropriate, valuable
- Consider the whole soundscape and listen: shut your eyes!
- Test and test again
Julian’s Sound Agency offer, and trust me, it is so worthwhile you talking to them when doing a screen network or any retail work…
- The sound of your brand defined and optimised
- A four-stage process
- SoundCheck – full competitive audit
- SoundThinking – BrandSound defined in full audio brand guidelines
- SoundPractice – BrandSound expressed
- SoundHealth – optimisation and development
Sound creation and removal
- Custom sound design and production
- Soundscape design for retail and other commercial spaces
- Music composition and styling
- Audio programmes, sonic logos
- Leading edge delivery technologies such as reactive sound, generative sound and hypersonic loudspeakers
- Acoustic treatments for spaces
- Expert advice on applied sound including:
- Strategies, training, conferences, blue sky days, white papers, sound audits, teambuilding, event sound, voice coaching…