Stéphane Bastien is technical director at Telecine, Montreal. He manages the digital signage division.
- Describe your personal work space.
One main desk plus two other work spaces.
I have two 24” LCD screens on my desk. My work spaces have six 21” LCD screens plus lots of additional LCD screens to program and display our various installations and projects.
- How do you get to work?
First, I drive my daughter to school, then I head to work. I live in a suburb on the South Shore of Montreal so there is usually some traffic at rush hour. It is not too bad.
- What is an average day like?
5:20 alarm goes off
5:30 exercise session
6:00 shower and breakfast (not usually at the same time)
6:50 leave home
7:35 drop-off my daughter at school
8:00 arrive at work and sit down at my desk
17:00 leave to pick up daughter at school and head home.
- What is essential to you being able to work happily?
Working with people who are motivated to do their best, and having enough time to do the project properly.
- How flexible are your working conditions?
We have flexible working hours and conditions. We just ask people to be in the office between 10 am and 4pm.
- What do you think your employer looks for in its staff?
- What suggestions do you have for your company?
A pool. (We already have a pool table.)
A PS3. (We already have an Xbox 360.)
A treadmill. (We already have an elliptical trainer.)
A hot tub. (We already have the sun deck on the roof to put it on.)
- Do you have any frustrations you would like to share with us?
I hate meetings where everything gets repeated two, three, and sometimes four times! So much wasted time! Also, people using their smart phones (likely texting their friends) during those meetings.
- What do you like best about your job?
James, Nicolae, Mike, Michael, Larry, Philippe, JJ, Paul, Dany, Chantal, Debbie and Josée. (They are my co-workers.)
The office space is very nice (a historic 100-year old bank with 14’ ceilings and lots of natural light).
Every project is a new and different challenge. I love using my skills and experience, but trying and learning new things is what really keeps me happy.
- How open is your company to new ideas and suggestions?
Everyone is welcome to comment and make suggestions. You know you have a great team when each member adds something significant to the final product.
- How much responsibility have you been given?
I am the Technical Director and manage the Digital Signage Division. I love to say, “If it’s not working, it’s my fault.”
I manage projects, employees and multiple clients and client servers, do content authoring, training, client meetings, technical support, project management, project scope documentation and quotes, and take care of the office’s in-house DS system (over 30 screens), oh and yeah…and lots of emails!
- How green are you and your company?
We do our best to recycle; paper, plastic, aluminum batteries, CDs, and a lots of old computer/electronics parts.
I do my part by owning a Toyota Prius.
- What inspires you?
Smart and talented people.
- What are your ambitions?
To be able to retire one day and have time to read!
- If you could change only one thing, what would it be?
No more emails!
- How much time do you devote to social networking?
Not much since I don’t have a Facebook or a Twitter account! Of course, I keep in touch by email!
- What are your most useful tools you use to do your job?
Adobe After Effects/Photoshop
and the heater under my desk.
- What would be your dream job?
One where there would be no stress and no email.
- What makes you laugh during the work day?
Funny YouTube videos, and friends and coworkers who don’t take themselves too seriously.